Thursday, August 21, 2008

Embrace

Its 2:15am, and am at work, and am beyond thankful, that its night #3 - normally my friday, but am working an extra shift on Friday. Working, but all of a sudden had a crazy idea to blog.

Ali Edwards (for you non-scrapbook people, she's a scrapbooker whose work i really do admire; and for you oregonians, she's the wife of our state rep, Chris Edwards ) And yes, I've met her, have taken pictures with her, and have taken classes from her (remember when I had Bobby drive us to Eugene?). Anyhow she had this idea to choose a word and have that be a focus for the year.

I chose the word: EMBRACE. And it stuck with me when over a year ago,when a good friend told me about her sister who's son is possibly having a sexual identity. It really made me think about what children can go through. And when I commented, "it must be tough to accept." When her husband said, their is a difference between 'accepting' it and 'embracing' it. And from then on, i realized how strong and powerful it is to 'EMBRACE'. 

How have i been living it??? Well, rather than being upset that Troy needs another phone (somehow it broke he said . . ), I took that opportunity to teach him a lesson, no phone for 1 month and thanks to Kam he gets a used gold phone. Rather than be frustrated with Ashton not following directions with his homework, I simply ask him, is that what its asking?? (And Ashton corrects it). Rather than being upset that Jadeline wet the bed @ 2:00am to clean up the bed and Jade. I find the opportunity to have her sleep in our bed - since she never does.  Has it made a difference? I believe so. No stress, always calm, and we look at the bright side of things. Oh, and between Bobby and I?? We haven't argued in months - well, i take that back, remember my story about our Krispy Kreme donuts?? Its been a moment we've embraced because we still laugh about it. 

No comments: